Tuesday, May 17, 2011

He's Baaaaack!!!



Nine years ago, I bought one of the smallest homes in the neighborhood (960 square feet), but it wasn’t the charming 1970s ranch house that sold me.  It was the huge tree in the front yard.

Each fall, as I rake leaves, I tell myself I was crazy to buy a house with such a big tree.  I fill at least 15 large leaf bags during the fall, and need to wait weeks before the county takes all of them away.  In the spring, I have seedlings everywhere.

I wanted a rambling rose to grow into my tree.  From a fragile, 4-inch cutting, it didn’t take long for the Paul’s Himalayan musk rose to grow.  And what a beauty he turned out to be!

But I only see the roses for about four weeks a year, starting in mid-May.  This year, with the unexpected wind and rain, I don’t think the roses will last too long.  The rose is a once-bloomer, so I look forward to the annual performance. 

I will miss him when he’s gone, but I always look forward to his return.

No comments:

Post a Comment