Sunday, March 20, 2011

Magnus, My Love

When I was single, my father used to tell me that single people who weren't in a committed relationship were usually "married" to the job or material things like an automobile or a house.  In other words, he was politely telling me that I was married to a job while in pursuit of buying a house.

Someday, my house will come.  That was the major goal for me when I was single.  The job and the house had become "the boyfriend".

Goals and priorities change over the years.  Like a lot of my friends, I am now that "old married lady" with about 10 years into retirement.  Surprisingly enough, this is the best time for me because my time is my own.  No longer am I answering to an alarm clock or the Big Boss Man or Lady whenever they cracked the whip.  I'm living like the bumper sticker that says, "Retirement:  Don't Wanna, Don't Have To".

This month, Magnus the spinning wheel came into my life.  He is a handmade spinning wheel from 1993 (#160) and made by Magnus Drudik of Salem, Oregon.  I was told Mr. Drudik was very popular when he created these wheels.  Some women waited up to six months for his creations, and each one had a different design.

What turned my head when it came to Magnus?  He is made from Oregon myrtlewood and Oregon tiger maple.  Since I lived near the California-Oregon border for 10 years, I've always admired myrtlewood.  In fact, I've always admired wood.  Back to the time when I took a woodshop class in junior high and completed every project assigned to me.

This is my second time around for learning the art of spinning.  I tried it in 2005, but ended up selling my Louet S-10 to a beginning spinner and her kilt-wearing boyfriend.  Someone told me it simply wasn't my type of wheel.  A spinning wheel is a machine, when you think about it.  If you don't like it, you won't use it.


So, I've been spinning every day.  Whether it's 10 minutes or 2 hours, it doesn't matter.  I'm enjoying spinning, now, and a lot of it has to do with the beauty of my spinning wheel.  I've got the whole learning process ahead of me, and there's no end to learning an art.  I like being around spinners who have a passion for the art of spinning.  Whether they know it or not, they inspire me.

Oh, yeah.  Thank you, Mr. Drudik.   

1 comment:

  1. Hello...I found your blog post by googling Magnus Drudik. I'm curious how you like spinning on it? I purchased one in about 1991...it is made totally of Myrtlewoods. I found my wheel to be a bit finicky compared to other spinning wheels. I do love the design and the beauty of it. But, it has mainly sat as a piece of furniture for many years. I am thinking of selling it and am also wondering how much you paid for your wheel? Did you buy it a "wool/fiber" show or festival?

    thanks!
    annie
    http://rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete