Friday, April 1, 2011

Cosmos and Sculpture Park


I didn't know what it was called or who created it, but the red thing overlooking I-80 in Roseville always got my attention because it's blood red in color.  Red is my favorite color, and I am a true red personality, so all these years, my head would automatically jerk around to look at this sculpture.

This year, while writing a few pieces about Roseville, I did a little research.  Cosmos dates back to 1990 and is the towering red centerpiece of Sculpture Park.

I don't like to admit it, but I get lost, trying to find this park. 

Well, no wonder I couldn't find it.  Sculpture Park is sandwiched between I-80 and a parking lot next to Home Depot.  You wouldn't expect to find a park behind a shopping center, but if you take the time to look, you'll see Cosmos from a different view.  Visitors can park at the edge of the lot and walk the asphalt trail.  Sculpture Park is also the beginning of the Miners Ravine Bike Trail, so if you're walking, be prepared to share the trail with bicyclists.

The park is small, but still gives a feeling of space.  The landscaping is a natural mix of oaks and grass.  You can hear the sound of cars whizzing along the freeway.  A drainage ditch runs parallel to the freeway, and this time of year, you can hear water running.

The asphalt trail winds around Cosmo, but what you don't expect are the concrete structures specially built to display sculptures by school children.  There is a large sign explaining the history of Sculpture Park and a list of the children whose award-winning art was chosen to be permanently displayed here.  The beauty of animals and nature are reflected in their work.

If you look around the park, there are no benches or picnic tables inviting visitors to linger.  Being in the park reminded me of being in an outdoor art gallery or museum.  The idea here was for visitors to focus on the sculptures.

There are supposed to be 90 bronze squares in Sculpture Park, but most of them are missing because someone decided to pry the sculptures from the concrete.  What could have been a gem of a park has become a permanent reminder of vandalism.

So now that I know what's missing from Sculpture Park, I'll continue to do what I've been doing for 10 years. 
      
I'll keep driving.

1 comment:

  1. The park was revitalized in 2012 with colorful tile mosaics. These pieces of art were created by the top 96 5th grade contestants in an art contest spearheaded by a Boy Scout.

    ReplyDelete